Friday, February 11, 2011

Social Net-working?

I honestly think I’m burned out by social networks. For something that keeps the world connected I honestly feel like it is separating us and making most of us forget how to be personable with one another. Our generation has this weird obsession to voice everything we feel via blog and status updates. Like you are that important that you have to tell the world “I’m in a shitty mood right now!” Who in the fuck cares? Are you really that lonely that you couldn’t keep that to yourself? I feel as if most people just want to be heard or seen. Spent their whole life wanting to be heard and now they can finally talk and someone can see it.

I also don’t like how people rely on the internet to keep up communication. People spend over $300 for a phone but only use it as a social network checker, texting device and a GPS. Try calling somebody in your phone and I bet 7 times out of 10 they will ignore the call and text you. No one likes talking on the phone anymore BUT they will call your ass on skype in a heartbeat. People don’t even know how to flirt or start conversations anymore because of this. If someone likes you, they won’t tell you when they see you but they will poke the fuck out of you on facebook and confess their love via twitter DM or facebook.

Are social networks really working in reverse? Instead of keeping us connected I feel its breaking up real friendships and relationships and allowing us to hide behind profile pictures and 140 character text conversations. It has gotten to the point that it is not used for social networking because if someone sends you a link to anything you report them as spam. People build these fake personalities when they get behind a keyboard. They develop this internet confidence and get a high off how many RT’s they can get or how many likes they can get on a status and or picture. I know a lot of low confidence women who seem like divas on these social networks. I know lame ass guys who get on twitter, become an asshole and all of a sudden are cool. I don’t see it getting better, only worse. These are just my thoughts though. Peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous February 11, 2011 at 6:35 AM  

Damn...I couldn't have said it better...I love your mind...

@simpleeloquence February 11, 2011 at 7:32 AM  

I agree with anonymous. I can't stand when someone will text me and never call. You like me that much then you can pick up a phone take me out in reality. I definitely miss when social networking was writing notes to your friends or asking someone if they like you ON PAPER... I very people don't even know what their handwriting looks like anymore.....

..you are on point!

Anonymous February 11, 2011 at 8:46 AM  

Well put. I was actually just having this conversation with my mom and dad the other day. My standpoint was all this communication things (skype, twitter, text, google talk, etc.) are killing communication which, to me, ruins the point. Can't even sit down and have a descent conversation without mentioning something that was said on twitter. Then people get on twitter and put all their private matters on there and wonder why people are in their buisness? What the hell do you expect?? And don't let me get starting on the 10 year olds who have BlackBerrys now. smh.

Naomie February 16, 2011 at 8:14 PM  

this is so true...so true i had to comment, it's def been a min (remember my blogger days) lol
i always read #fyi...i might not comment, but i'm always reading. =)))

Blog Top Sites

Followerz!

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP